Hot Off the Press! Thrilled to share the new Uri L'Tzedek Business Ethics Supplement!
With articles from Rabbi Dr. Yehuda Mirsky, Rabbi Dr. Elisha Ancselovits, Dr. Erica Brown, Rabbi Aryeh Klapper, Rabbi Dr. Eliezer Diamond, Joshua Schwartz, Timothy Lytton, Adina Levine, Avi Garelick, and Rav Shmuly.
The Uri L'Tzedek Business Ethics Shabbat will take place again this year on Shabbat, January 25, 2014, in which Parshat Mishpatim (Exodus 21:1-28:18) was read in synagogues across the world. This Torah portion focuses on laws concerning business ethics.
What is the first question you are asked when you arrive in Heaven?
Answer: Did you deal honestly with people in your business practices?
1. Giving a shiur with our newest source sheet on the mitzvot of lifnei iver.
2. Reading an article in our upcoming business ethics choveret to prepare a d'var Torah on any one of the many topics presented within.
3. Using the case study in Uri L'Tzedek's business ethics introduction source sheet to hold a discussion group during Shabbat.
4. Inviting a business ethicist or business owner to share some reflections on the challenges of running a business ethically.
5. Share the resources below with your community by leaving them out in your communal space.
Business Ethics Shabbat Sources:
Additional Articles/Sources on business ethics:
1. Pava, Moses L. "Why Corporations Should Not Abandon Social Responsibility." Journal of Business Ethics. 2008.
2. Pava, Moses L. "The Talmudic Concept of "Beyond the Letter of the Law": Relevance to Business Social Responsibilities." Journal of Business Ethics. September 1996.
3. Source sheet on Jewish Business Ethics, by Rabbi Zachary Truboff
4. Essential Essays on Judaism, by Eliezer Berkovitz
5. Corporate Responsibility - The Potential of Power, by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks, Jewish Association for Business Ethics
6. Yanklowitz, Shmuly. "The Challenge of Offering Moral Rebuke in the Workplace." Jewish Week. 11 March 2012.
7. Yanklowitz, Shmuly. "The BP Oil Spill, Personal Responsibility and Jewish Law." Jewish Week. 18 June 2010.
8. Yanklowitz, Shmuly. "Witnessing Haiti: A Call for Transparency in Disaster Relief." Jewish Week. 29 April 2010.
9. Yanklowitz, Shmuly. "Jewish Business Ethics: Proper Marketing and Selling." Jewish Journal. 31 March 2013.
10. Economic and Social Justice in Jewish Law Class Series, Rabbi Josh Yuter
11. Joseph's Economy: The Business Ethics of "Insider Information", Sarah Robinson